On Friday the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced an allocation of ₹ 500 cr for beekeeping initiatives and this allocation is expected to benefit two lakh beekeepers in the rural areas.
As per the FM Nirmala Sitharaman, the government will implement a new scheme for infrastructure development related to integrated beekeeping development centers, collection of raw material, marketing and storage centers, and post-harvest facilities, among others.
Beekeeping initiatives – Rs. 500 cr
- Beekeeping is a livelihood supporting activity for rural areas.
- Increases yield and quality of crops through cross-pollination.
- It provides honey and other beehive products like wax.
The government will implement a scheme for the following things:-
- Infrastructure development related to integrated beekeeping development centers, collection, marketing, and storage centers, 500 cr and post-harvest facilities, among others.
- Implementation of standards and developing a traceability system.
- Capacity building with thrust on women.
- Development of quality nucleus stock and bee breeders.
- This will lead to an increase in income for 2 lakh beekeepers and quality honey to consumers.